Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

KILIMANJARO CLIMB, A CHALLENGE THAT AWAITS YOU.


KILIMANJARO CLIMB, A CHALLENGE THAT AWAITS.

There is ana adage in Swahili which say that a journey of a thousand miles starts with that just one step, and that how I would like to explain my Kilimanjaro safari trekking which started with just a fleeting idea and then the idea wouldn’t go away and eventually I convinced my dear friend Nina that we also could add to the long list of people who have trekked and climbed the mighty Kilimanjaro….at hearing this idea my friend looked at me as if I have just turned crazy….she was so skeptical that I was just having a passing ideas, and even when I finally convinced her she was sure that we wouldn’t be able to pull it off….oh boy, was she wrong………!!!!!

 

I was fortunate to take that trip back in 2010 and to this moment I still remember every tit and bits of that adventurous safari. Together with my friend, we began our through Marangu route and by the third day we were on our way to the roof of Africa. Unfortunately for us we both developed sickness from the high altitude and we were unable to reach the Uhuru summit, although we were able to reach the Gilman’s Point which is the last stop before the Uhuru peak.

 
We started the trekking again after we rested and had some supper,  it was in the middle of the night. I was determined to make the five hour distance to Gilmans point and then to Uhuru Peak. I was eager to have that picture which showed the banner of Uhuru Peak. Of course at this juncture it was obvious that I didn’t acclimatize well, because the more up we trekked, the light headed I felt, and at some point we had to stop in order for me to  catch my breath. It took so much energy and determination just to take that one step, eventually we reached the Gilman’s point. And I started vomiting and I couldn’t go any further and so we took the guide advice that we shouldn’t make any further to the top, as it would be a healthy risk, and I agreed as I knew that I was in a bad shape, but I was so proud of the Gilman’s point achievement and I decided that there was always a next time and tis time around Uhuru Peak had to wait. Surprisingly when we started going down all the nausea, light headedness disappeared and I started feeling normal again. My friend decided to come down with me as she also wasn’t acclimatizing as well. After these three challenging days of my way up to the roof of Africa, I was ready to take a walk back with some satisfaction that I was able to reach the 5,685 metres above the sea level.


That my friends was my experience on the most famous mountain of the world, though my young brother Simon was able to reach the Uhuru peak, which fuels my determination to go back there and conquer that ultimate challenge, the Uhuru Peak challenge. . Well I might have not reached the roof of Africa yet, but I was close enough to get there, and next time by the grace of God I intend to get there. Here are some of the few pictures of my self and some of my young brother form that experience


Some friends and I on our way up to Horombo hut, on the way to Kilimanjaro.
My young brother Simon, on his way to Kibo Hut trekking his way to Kilimanjaro
 
 
 

the vegetation along the way to Kibo Hut
 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment